[Howm-eng 116] Re: How to bind M-RET to insert { } in howm buffers?

Back to archive index

Albert REINER arein****@tph*****
Sun Sep 11 21:54:10 JST 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 02:32:06AM +0900, khi****@users***** wrote:
> Would you try this `my-newline-with-todo'?
> http://howm.osdn.jp/cgi-bin/hiki/hiki.cgi?Comment

Thanks!  This was enough to get me started; I had to make some minor
changes:

- change the pattern "^[[:blank:]]*{ } " to "^[[:blank:]]*{ }" (remove
  trailing space), or otherwise the first item would have only one,
  the second one always two spaces after "{ }".

- binding the key does not work with [(meta return)] but only with
  "\M-\r" - presumably this has to do with my emacs version: "GNU
  Emacs 24.4.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of 2015-01-12
  on babin, modified by Debian"

- and, of course, the function to bind is not, as on the wiki,
  'my-erase-header but 'my-newline-with-todo.

This does, it seems, exactly what I wanted it to do, although at the
moment I don't understand why it works even for multi-line to do
entries.  Thanks a lot!

> howm.el is still alive because I'm using it every day by myself :)

Indeed, it is an incredibly useful tool!  It took me some time to get
used to it, but now I certainly would not want to miss it any more!

Thanks, and best regards,

Albert.