[Howm-eng 114] How to bind M-RET to insert { } in howm buffers?

Back to archive index

Albert REINER arein****@tph*****
Sun Sep 11 00:46:28 JST 2016

Hi,

hoping that this list is still functional, here is something that I
have been longing for for quite some time; but, alas!, my Emacs skills
are insufficient to implement this myself.

What I would like is to make M-RET, inside howm buffers, insert a new
item in a to do list, i.e. insert a newline, followed by "{ } "
indented by the same amount as any preceding item.  (This would be
analogous to, e.g., various TeX modes that start a new \item.)

E.g., given the following buffer contents:

foo bar baz foo bar baz foo bar baz foo bar baz foo bar baz foo bar
baz foo bar baz foo bar baz foo bar baz foo bar baz foo bar baz foo
bar baz foo bar baz AAA foo bar baz foo bar baz BBB

{ } foo CCC bar DDD
{ } baz
    { } foo EEE bar FFF

GGG

Hitting M-RET should have this effect:

- on AAA or BBB or CCC or DDD: insert "\n{ } " (since no indentation
  is implied by previous lines);

- on EEE or FFF: insert "\n    { } " (since we are on an item indented
  by four spaces already)

While this is not in any way urgent, any help would be very much
appreciated.

(BTW, I have been using Howm heavily for about a year, and it has
become very important to me.  Thank you so much for writing and
maintaining Howm!)

Regards,

Albert.